the alternative breakfast party from hell

inside the guts of a radio show, the dj, and her geeky obsession with pop culture

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Good Music is a part of a complete breakfast


Today's show was an absolute blast. I had a lot of fun just playing pretty much anything that I wanted to hear. anything that was played and it had a "theme" was totally coincidental and it wasn't like I forced myself to play nothing but dancable music. It was funny my mother called in and said "you're playing some really interesting music..." I have a feeling she didn't like the chemical brothers track I played, then again, I am not surprised.

I think the best irony of the show was the first song. Granted, I said that I didn't feel like playing dance music. Funny enough, I did play a few songs that you could dance to. The whole point of my show having the title it has is so I could get away with playing whatever I wanted. I don't like restricting myself to just one particular genre or idea. Honestly, I also got tired of repeating myself like I have been doing in recent shows. The good news is that the holidays are coming up soon and that means NEW MUSIC! Hopefully next semester will have more variety.

During my show, the Emergency Alert System went off. Lucky me, I had to do the monthly test. I just have to laugh that I wasn't trained very well in how to do that. The odds of the EAS going off during my shift are rare. I've been at the station for a year now and this was my first time doing a test. I'm proud to say that I survived doing that.

Here is this week's set list:

1. Scissor Sisters - I Don't Feel Like Dancin'
2. PJ Harvey - This is Love
3. Betty Lavette - Joy (Lucinda Williams Cover)
4. Sam and Dave - Soul Man
5. Jeff Buckley - Lover, You Should Have Come Over
6. Ben Lee - Nothing Much Happens
7. INXS - Everything
8. Kylie Minogue - Slow
9. Blur - Park Life *for Thomas
10. Talking Heads - Take Me To The River
11. Ned's Atomic Dustbin - Saturday Night (Bay City Rollers cover) *for Matt
12. Ringside - Struggle
13. Madonna - Secret
14. Duran Duran - Come Undone
15. Just Jack - Snowflakes (Cured by Temple of Jay Mix)
16. Head Automatica - Egyptian Musk
17. U2 - Numb
18. Chemical Brothers featuring Bernard Sumner - Out of Control
19. The Knife - Heartbeats (Live from the BBC)
20. Prince - Cream
21. Morrissey - Hairdresser on Fire *for Victor
22. Placebo - Bitter End
23. Feeder - Cement
24. Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger *for Rohan
25. The Cult - Rain
26. The Replacements - I'll Be You
27. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Straight to You

I only have three more shows left for the semester, which means last show is December 20th. I am right now in the works of planning the last three. So far, I am thinking of at least doing a show that would feature old school hip hop and 90s hip hop stuff. Rohan (my friend and wmuc's music director) will most likely co-host this with me. Another idea is to have a show in which I play the best stuff of the year. Well the stuff I think was the best of the year in terms of remixes, singles, albums, ect. I think one more idea that was pitched was to do a christmas special. If you have any ideas for my last three shows or have any requests, please feel free to share!

okay here's the link to listen to my show:
http://wmucradio.com/stream_ripper/wed/The_Alternative_Breakfast
_Party_from_Hell_1000_1200.mp3

(yes this time it all fits nicely on one mp3 file!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home