the alternative breakfast party from hell

inside the guts of a radio show, the dj, and her geeky obsession with pop culture

Friday, September 15, 2006

Pills 'n' Thrills and Bellyaches

First of all, Happy Friday everyone! Even though I don't have classes on this day, I had work. I work at this really cool office on campus. It's a work study job, which means I was poor enough to get the job. I only joke about that stuff, because financial aid is a pain in the ass. The upside about this job... My one boss loves good music, which means I get to actually have a fun time working. Not to mention, when you work for a place like this: www.ila-net.org you have to have a pretty awesome time. Did I mention I might be going to our conference in Chicago for free???

Now on with the cool stuff:

Since when did Coolio get his PhD??? Apparently, he's now an expect on relationships. Before we know it, Kanye West will have a diet book out.

File this one under world's trashiest couple. You can only hope that their sons are smarter than they are.

Poor Matt Damon Keeps Getting Pawned!

And Finally, just when I thought the hollywood couples curse was over, I was wrong! I thought whitney and bobby were untouchable in their craziness.

Now as for concerts... I'm rather thrilled to say that I managed to get a ticket to Thursday's Massive Attack gig at the 930 club (which is on the 28th). Their Friday show had already sold out (which doesn't matter much to me, I'm going to the beach that evening anyway) and apparently, this show is about gone. Hopefully, it's gonna be 46 bucks well spent! The last time Massive Attack played the 930 club was back in the Fall of 1998. The only reason why I know this is because I went to the 930 club for the first time when I was 13 in September of 1998. I remember getting a flyer for the M.A. Show when I was there. and Yes at that time, I did listen to their stuff. Mostly it was whatever songs my friends played on their electronic music radio show back home. What will make this show at the 930 club rather interesting is that opening act is fellow former WMUC dj Christine Moritz, who used to have her show Varity is the Spice of Life on our radio station. I wished I could have gotten to meet her while she was still a dj here. I am definately looking forward to this. I was a fan of her show and it's rare seeing a good female dj. I can only name a few good ones who spin vinyl still!

In my last entry, I wrote about Morrissey. As many of my friends know, I am obsessed with the whole Manchester scene and well any band that had that "madchester" sound. For the past day or two, I've been listening to the Happy Mondays a lot. They had a great energy. I won't lie though, I have only gotten into their music within the past 4 years or so. My older sister told me about them when she saw that I liked Blur and Oasis. A few years later, the movie 24 Hour Party People came out. Great movie, I highly recomend. (Steve Coogan is the man might I add.) It definately got me into their music. I think another reason I dig them is because they were the band who supposedly started rave culture! Supposed, "good" rave culture (the kind with the awesome warehouse parties) are coming back. shall we party like it's 1991???



For those who didn't know, Shaun Ryder of the Happy Mondays does guest vocals in the song "Dare" by the Gorrillaz. I must say that it's cool to see a "madchester" combination... (I consider Blur to have had the madchester sound at one time.)



While on the topic of Manchester and 24 Hour Party People...

Tony Wilson interviews the Smiths - I can't believe this interview actually happened. (On a side note, Andy Rourke of the smiths was djing in DC tonight, but I passed that up, because I was too tired.)

Keeping it real as always,
Megan

ps- thought for the weekend, since I'm a Journalism Student... Anderson Cooper is the hotness. I love how edgy he is with his reporting and well, you have to give kudos to a reporter who likes blasting the clash in his car.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home